Tyrone Vs Roscommon

Yesterday, Tyrone qualified for the All-Ireland quarter finals after a well earned victory over losing Connaught finalists, Roscommon.

Tyrone were the bookie’s and pundits favourites to win this tie but that meant little to the team I am sure. My friend Kev and I travelled down to Croke Park, knowing that if Tyrone won we would be back in Dublin the following weekend for a mouth watering tie against the Dubs but none of us were getting carried away!!

Conditions for the game were fair but most importantly dry…. makes snapping a lot more pleasant! Throw in time was meant to be 4pm but was delayed 15 mins due to the Roscommon Vs Armagh minor match going into extra time.

Tyrone captain Ryan Mc Menamin leads the players onto the field from the Cusack Stand changing rooms.

Owen Mulligan warms up before the throw-in. It was great to see Mugsy coming on in the second half, he proved a constant threat to the Roscommon defence.


The first 25 minutes of the game was tit for tat between the two teams with nothing more than a point dividing them until the 27th minute when Roscommon got a peach of a goal. There were now 4 points between the teams in favour of Roscommon.

However, 2 minutes later Sean Cavanagh made a surging run through the Roscommon back line and shot low to give Tyrone a goal.

Sean Cavanagh shoots ...

... and scores!


Further points followed from Peter Harte and Colm Cavanagh and Tyrone were fortunate to go in 1 point ahead at the end of a very exciting half of football.

In the second half, Tyrone made some tactical changes to the team which saw the introduction of Brian Dooher and Owen Mulligan. Tyrone really dominated from this point onwards and as Mark Donnelly, Mugsy and Peter Harte chipped over points, Sean Cavanagh and Mark Donnelly added 2 more goals to effectively end the game as a contest.

Mark Donnelly put in another sterling performance for Tyrone at full forward.


Colm Cavanagh cleans up possession in the Tyrone half.


The second half was dominated by stops in play mainly due to a few late and dirty tackles from Roscommon on the Tyrone players, resulting in two blood substitutions for ┬áTyrone. As a result, Tyrone physio Michael Harte (far left) had a busy afternoon. Here he attends to an injured Conor Gormley as one of Roscommon’s forwards tries to pick a fight with Joey Mc Mahon.


The final scoreline of 3-19 to 1-14 was great to see, a very high scoring total from Tyrone for the third consecutive game. It was also great to see Stevie O’Neill come on in injury time too.

A heavily bandaged Sean Cavanagh gives a radio interview after the game.


Next step for Tyrone is the All-Ireland 1/4 final tie against Dublin next Saturday night. It is sure to create an electric atmosphere in Croker as there have been many classic battles between the teams in the past 10 years (who can forget Mugsy’s wonder goal against them in 2005 or Joe’s goal in the pouring rain in 2008!)

Bring on on the Dubs…. Tir Eoghain Ab├║!

This entry was posted in Tyrone. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>