Tyrone Vs Meath – 2012 GAA All-Ireland Minor Championship Quarter Final

It was major disappointment and heart ache for Tyrone minors as they bowed out to Meath in the quarter final stages of the All-Ireland Minor Football Championship in Pairc Esler, Newry on Sunday night. It’s fair to say that every game this Tyrone minor team have played in this year’s championship has been a serious test right from their first round tie against Armagh and this game against defeated Lenister finalists Meath was going to be no different.

Disaster struck for the boys in the first 20 seconds of the game when they conceded a goal followed by another Meath point to leave them 4 points down. However a wonder goal from Augher’s Sean Hackett and point from Mark Bradley levelled the game. The balance then turned back in favour of Meath but super scores from Mark Bradley and Sean Hackett meant that both teams went in at HT 1-07 apiece.

The flood lights were turned on for the second half in Pairc Esler and this added to the spectacle of football on show for the small crowd of 500. Tyrone had opportunities to build a comfortable lead but were guilty of missing some easy chances. Meanwhile Meath took control in midfield and continued to add points of their own. With 10 minutes to go Meath were 1-11 to 1-10 up. However some amazing points from Mark Bradley and James Mc Gahan looked to be enough to see them through to the semi-final until another Meath goal in the 30th minute meant they now had a 2 point advantage. Tyrone cut the margin down to 1 point but as they 3 minutes of injury time ended, it wasn’t enough as they were defeated by a strong and tenacious Meath side.

Hopes of repeating the success of the Tyrone minor squad in 2010 were dashed – it was a real shame for this group of lads and management who had a lot of belief in themselves that they could go all the way but I’m certain this won’t be the last we’ll see of many of these talented players.

Tyrone minors line out for the team photo in Pairc Esler, Newry.


Caolan Harvey warms up before the game.



Sean Hackett shoots and scores…


…and celebrates his goal for Tyrone.


James Mc Gahan is tackled by the Meath defence.






Diarmuid Carroll tackles Meath’s James Mc Entee.







Mark Bradley scores a point for Tyrone in the first half…. probably my favourite photo of the evening.


James Mc Gahan tackles Meath goalkeeper Jack Hannigan who later had to come off with an injury.


Kieran Mc Geary and Michael Cassidy attempt to catch the ball for Tyrone.


Kieran Mc Geary pushes his way through the Meath defence.


Rory Brennan collects the ball cleanly in the air.



Danny Mc Nulty advances for Tyrone.


Caolan Harvey advances from the back line.


Mark Bradley turns his Meath marker.



Ruairi Sludden runs into a scoring position for Tyrone.




Anthony Devlin collects the ball in midfield.


Meath’s Adam Flanagan leaps to the air.







Kieran Mc Geary pushes forward for Tyrone.




James Mc Gahan scores a point in the dying minutes of the game.


This entry was posted in Tyrone. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>