Tyrone Vs Kildare – NFL Division 2 Final

It was unlucky 13 for Tyrone on Sunday when after recording 12 wins from 12 in 2012, they came up short in Sunday’s Division 2 Final against Kildare in Croke Park and missed out in lifting their second piece of silverware this year.

A small troop of Tyrone followers travelled down to Croke Park on Sunday but they were well in truly outnumbered by the Lilywhite supporters. A cutting cold wind and strong breeze blew from the Hill 16 end into the Canal Stand throughout the game and this was the direction Tyrone played in the first half. However a lack of supply of ball into Owen Mulligan and Stephen O’Neill meant that they never capitalized on the strong breeze and went in 0-07 to 0-06 down at half time.

Kildare continued to use Croke Park’s space far better than Tyrone in the second half and continued to win possession in the middle of the field and rarely lose it. Tyrone however took too much from the ball, dropped it, kicked it away and squandered a couple of opportunities ┬áthat might have changed the flow of the game. In the final 7 minutes or so, Kildare added more points to the scoreboard and the game was effectively over for Tyrone then. Full Time score; Kildare 0-16 Tyrone 0-11.

Tyrone: J Curran, A McCrory, C Gormley, PJ Quinn, C McCarron, P Harte, D McCaul, A Cassidy, C Cavanagh, R McNabb, M Donnelly, S Cavanagh, O Mulligan, N McKenna, S O’Neill.

It was the weakest Tyrone performance of the year so far in my opinion and it would have been nice to finish the League campaign on a high but if it helps them to regroup and refocus for the Ulster Championship in 5 weeks time then it will all be worth it!

Here are some of my photos…. nothing that exciting from this game I’m afraid!

Sean Cavanagh and Mark Donnelly warm up before the game.


A minute's silence was held before the game for former Eglish and Tyrone player Paul 'Buzzer' Hughes who passed away at a very young age during the week.



Peter Harte creates a bright attack for Tyrone in the opening minutes.


Aidan Cassidy is dragged back.


Colm Cavanagh gains a few extra inches over Kildare's Michael Foley.


Aidan Cassidy goes on the run again for Tyrone.



Sean Cavanagh breaks forward in the first half.



Cathal Mc Carron tries to get a grip of the ball.


Mikey Conway and Damian Mc Caul keep their eyes fixed on the ball.


James Kavanagh dominated in the second half for Kildare. Here he is chased by Tyrone's Sean O'Neill who made a very welcome return to the Tyrone team after his 3 month suspension ended last week.


Joe Mc Mahon and Ronan Mc Nabb let match referee David Coldrick know he missed a Kildare foul seconds earlier up the field.


Disappointment at the final whistle for Stephen O'Neill.


One of the positives that came from the game was to see Aidan Mc Crory emerging with the Tyrone subs after the final whistle. The game was stopped for 10 minutes in the first half after Aidan received a bad knock resulting in him being stretchered off after consultation from a lot of medical personnel.


Disappointment for some of the Tyrone panel as they watch the cup presentation.


Kildare captain Johnny Doyle modestly lifts the NFL Division 2 trophy.



This entry was posted in Tyrone. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>