Tyrone Vs Cavan – Ulster U21 Final

On Wednesday night in Brewster Park, I experienced a bad case of deja-vu when Tyrone Under 21’s took on Cavan in a repeat of last year’s Ulster U21 championship final. The similarities to last year’s final were almost eerie – the opposition was the same, the location was the same, the game ran a similar pattern and unfortunately the final score was the same.

From the throw in, an immediate high ball into the Tyrone goal zone resulted in a foul and a penalty being rewarded to Cavan… after the first 30 seconds, Tyrone found themselves 1-00 to 0-00 down. This also happened in the 2011 final when Cavan scored a goal after 12 seconds. From that point on, Tyrone were chasing the game. They did level the game at 1-01 to 0-04 following points from Harry Og Conlon, Richard Donnelly and Darren Mc Curry but went in trailing by 2 points at half time; Cavan 1-04 Tyrone 0-05.

The second half saw a rise in intensity and physicality amongst the Breffni boys that Tyrone at times could not match. Numerous changes were made from the sidelines but they were to no avail as Cavan matched every point that Tyrone struck and Tyrone never looked like penetrating the Cavan defence to score the goal they needed to level the game. Full time score; Cavan 1-10 Tyrone 0-10…… the same score as last year!

It was another disappointing end to the season for a Tyrone U21 team that had so much potential but no doubt this won’t be the last we’ll see of a lot of these talented players.

Tyrone U21: 1 Darren McAnenly, 2 Barry Tierney, 3 Dean McNally, 4 Hugh Pat McGeary, 5 Niall Sludden, 6 Sean Warnock, 7 Tiernan McCann, 8 Harry Og Conlon, 9 Conor Clarke, 10 Stefan Tierney, 11 Thomas Canavan, 12 Richard Donnelly, 13 Darren McCurry, 14 Conor McAliskey, 15 Caolan Daly

The Tyrone U21 starting fifteen line out for the national anthem.


Tyrone U21 manager Raymond Munroe observes his players warming up.


Disaster for Tyrone as they concede a penalty in the opening 30 seconds.


Richard Donnelly pulls away from his man.


Harry Og Conlon collects the ball in the air.


Cavan's Joe Dillon bursts ahead of Richard Donnelly.


Kevin Tierney gains some space over Dean Mc Nally.


Midfield action from Wednesday night's final.


Conor Mc Aliskey looks for support from his team mates.


Conor Mc Aliskey struggles to make progress up the field as another Tyrone man lies injured on the ground.


Tyrone look for a goal in the dying minutes of the game.


Barry Tierney comes up from corner back to join the attack.


Cavan's Michael Brady, Conor Moynagh and Barry Reilly lift the Under 21 cup.


This entry was posted in Tyrone. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>