Stewartstown Vs Derrytresk

Stewartstown Harps took on newly promoted neighbours Derrytresk on Sunday in a game that many thought would be a no-contest in favour of the home side. However, the boys from The Hill pulled off a surprise result in an entertaining game of football.

Predictably, Stewartstown made a strong start with Gareth Devlin notching up a couple of points in the opening few minutes. Derrytresk came back with a few points of their own from Niall Gavin and Joe Mc Kee and led 0-04 to 0-03 but another scoring spree from Gareth Devlin, Cathal Devlin and Peter Armour put the Harps in a comfortable 0-09 to 0-05 lead.  Disaster soon struck for the home side before half time when referee Martin Sludden gave Stewartstown’s Mannies Devlin a straight red card for kicking, a harsh decision that caused temperatures to boil from both teams.

One man down, Stewartstown still had a 4 point lead at the break but  Niall Gavin soon reduced this as his mostly accurate free kicks reduced their lead to one point. Martin Sludden was soon writing again when a high tackle from Derrytresk’s Seamus O’Neill saw him getting a straight red card too. With 10 minutes remaining Stewartstown were hanging onto a 0-13 to 0-11 lead. The Harps looked to be holding onto the slender victory in injury time when a dubious 45 was awarded to Derrytresk by Martin Sludden. Joe Mc Kee stepped up and took it off the ground and somehow…. nearly in slow motion…. the ball sailed into the Stewartstown net to give them a goal and seal their first victory in Division 2 football. Full Time score; Stewartstown 0-14 Derrytresk 1-13.

Stewartstown's Gareth Devlin circles Derrytresk's Kevin Campbell to score a point in the opening few minutes.


Peter Armour makes gains for the Harps.



Caolan Corr catches a ball in the air for Derrytresk.


The Stewartstown Harps camera man had a bird's eye view from the top of their clubrooms.... rather him than me though!



All hands on the ball in midfield.


Peter Armour fielded strongly for Stewartstown.


Mickey Mulgrew clears from the backline in the second half.





Liam Slater advances for Derrytresk.



Joe Mc Kee gets in for a shot on goal.


Ronan O'Neill narrowly misses flicking the ball into the Stewartstown net.


Cathal O'Neill looks for options for Derrytresk.


Goalkeeper Johnny Campbell jumps for the ball towards the end of the game.


An umpire signals for a wide ball in injury time but the decision is over-ruled...


Joe Mc Kee's resultant 45 sails into the Stewartstown net to seal them the victory...


The Derrytresk players can't believe their luck as Stewartstown drop their heads in disappointment.



This entry was posted in Club Football, Derrytresk, Stewartstown. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

One Comment

  1. Posted 13/01/2014 at 10:46 am by jimm | Permalink

    upa hill!

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>