St Patrick’s Academy, Dungannon Vs St Patrick’s Grammar, Armagh

My old school of St Patrick’s Academy, Dungannon (or as it was when I was there, the Boys’ Academy) took on St Patrick’s Grammar, Armagh in an interesting quarter final tie of the Ulster Colleges Mac Rory Cup on Friday night in the Athletic Grounds.

I heard through the grapevine that St Patrick’s Academy were fortunate enough to make through the league stages to this quarter final tie so they didn’t exactly have any favourite tags for the competition this year or even in this game against hotly tipped St Pat’s Armagh.

The Academy got off to the best start possible though as their opening score was a goal after 20 seconds and a second goal followed after a defensive error in the Armagh defence. The Academy were 2-02 to 0-01 up after 15 minutes. Errigal Ciaran’s John Devine, Davy Harte and Mark Harte, joint managers of St Pat’s Armagh, soon made some changes to the team and got them composed again and it worked as St Patrick’s Armagh only trailed by one point at the break on a scoreline of 2-03 to 0-08. The Academy had let their foot off the accelerator!

In the second half, St Pat’s Armagh gave the Academy no chance. Dungannon could not keep up with the re-vitalised Armagh side and were defeated fair and square. The Academy got a huge amount of fortune in the first half with 2 lucky goals and despite leading by 7 points at one stage, they were defeated on a score line of; St Patrick’s Academy, Dungannon 2-07 St Patrick’s Grammar, Armagh 0-17.

St Patrick's Academy, Dungannon line out for the quarter final Mac Rory Cup tie.


Peter Mc Kenna scores a goal for St Patrick's Academy just 20 seconds into the game. Normally I am still setting my gear up at the very start of the game but was lucky enough to snap this.


Sean Mc Loughlin pulls away from Conor Mallon.


Diarmaid Carroll climbs the highest in midfield for the Academy.


Ruairi Mc Glone storms forward for St Patrick's Academy.


Kevin O'Gorman shrugs off Armagh's Gareth Mackin.


Gareth Mackin collects the ball in the air ahead of Kevin O'Gorman.


St Patrick's Armagh goalkeeper Matthew Hynds fumbles the ball.


Conor Mc Kenna gets in front of his man.


Kevin O'Gorman tries to hold back Michael Carson.


Errigal Ciaran's Davy Harte and John Devine instruct their Armagh students from the sidelines.


Disappointment at the final whistle for St Patrick's Academy, Dungannon.



This entry was posted in Schools Football, St Patrick's Academy, Dungannon. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>