Louth Vs Tyrone

After a 3 week break, Tyrone returned back to the NFL with a third round tie against Louth in the small but homely GAA Grounds, Drogheda. Last time I was at a game here was in 2008 when Tyrone met Louth in the All-Ireland qualifiers which lead on to many great things that year.

It was a changeable day on Sunday with the sun splitting the sky for large periods of the game but then occasional dark clouds coming over the ground producing heavy hail stone showers…. this changing extremes of natural light meant I was constantly keeping an eye on my camera settings and changing them as required, a lot more often than I normally would during a game.

Tyrone were tested in the opening 15 minutes with Louth testing the full back line and John Devine as many shots dropped in around the Tyrone crossbar…. dangerous for any goalkeeper or defence. Louth led by 0-04 to 0-02. The Red Hands steadied themselves however and following points from Kyle Coney, Martin Penrose and Owen Mulligan, they struck gold when Peter Harte slotted the ball into the back of the net following impressive work from midfielder Niall Mc Kenna. Half time score; Tyrone 1-07 Louth 0-06.

The second half continued brightly for Tyrone as Niall Mc Kenna slotted over a point and then Mark Donnelly was pulled down in the square rewarding Tyrone with a penalty…. but Peter Harte’s bottom corner shot was saved by Louth goalkeeper Neil Gallagher. Minutes later though, Tyrone made up from it with a second goal from half back Damian Mc Caul with a finely taken goal…. his first in Senior county football as far as I am aware. Mickey Harte’s men were now 6 points ahead.

Louth refused to drop their heads and continued to dominate in the Tyrone half at times but their work rate was to no avail as they struck wide after wide… if they had have scored more of these chances, the scoreline would have been closer. Further points from Mark Donnelly and Paddy Mc Niece ensured Tyrone held on to their 2 goal victory leaving them comfortably in pole position in Division 2 after 3 games. Full time; Tyrone 2-13 Louth 0-13.

Tyrone team – J Devine, A McCrory, C Clarke, PJ Quinn, C McCarron, P Harte, D McCaul, M Murphy, Joe McMahon, R McNabb, Mark Donnelly, P McNeice, K Coney, M Penrose, O Mulligan

Joe Mc Mahon leads Tyrone onto the field at the GAA Grounds, Drogheda.


The Louth starting fifteen line out. You can see the slight rise and fall in the playing field from this low angle.



Peter Harte gets a slight nudge in the back from Derek Maguire.


Louth's Adrian Reid shoots at the Tyrone net but John Devine pulled off a fine save to deny a goal in the opening 15 minutes.


Joe Mc Mahon is tested by fellow No.9 Brian Donnelly.


Mark Donnelly is pulled down on the edge of the square to give Tyrone a penalty at the beginning of the second half.


Peter Harte's low penalty shot is saved by Neil Gallagher. Again it was a quick scramble of swapping cameras, running over and dropping to the ground behind the net in time to get this shot.


Minutes later, Damian Mc Caul puts the ball into the top corner of the Louth net.


Martin Penrose in action for Tyrone who will be soon wearing a Carrickmore jersey when the 2012 Tyrone football season starts following his transfer from Aghyaran.


Peter Harte strikes for Tyrone while wearing the new pink Murphy's gaelic gloves!


Paddy Mc Niece proved his place on the Tyrone team on Sunday.


Fellow ex-Rancher Joe Mc Mahon gave me a cheeky smile after the final whistle.


This entry was posted in Tyrone. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>