Kildare Vs Tyrone

Tyrone began their Division 2 National Football League campaign with a win on Saturday night under the lights at Croke Park against Kildare.

The last time Tyrone played in Croker was 5 months ago when they faced the wrath of eventual All-Ireland champions Dublin and the omens weren’t good again on Saturday evening when the rain began to pour down before throw in, similar to that day in August.

Getting 2 points over the Lilywhites was never going to be an easy task and after a bright start in the first 10 minutes, Tyrone went in 0-06 to 0-03 down at half time. However yet again, Tyrone came out in the second half in blistering form and completely steam rolled Kildare with goals from Marty Penrose and Peter Harte and some amazing points from Mugsy. There were other fine performances from Stephen O’Neill, Matthew Donnelly and Conor Clarke in full back, a late change for the injured Justin Mc Mahon.

Kildare certainly had chances to score 2 goals in the last five minutes of the game but thankfully for the Red Hands they secured their first 2 points and hopefully the start to promotion to Division 1 football again. Full time score; Tyrone 2-11 Kildare 0-12.

Tyrone will now face Derry again next Sunday in Omagh in Round 2 … it won’t be pretty!

Kildare manager Kieran Mc Geeney smiles for the camera!!


The Tyrone team huddle together under the lights at Croke Park, Dublin.

Kildare's Ronan Sweeney gets in the face of Tyrone's Peter Hughes.


Brian Flanagan of Kildare releases the ball ahead of Peter Harte.


Conor Clarke shook Alan Smith to the core with this challenge.


Ronan Sweeney pops over a point for Kildare.


Mickey Harte looks unimpressed as half time draws near in a photo I took of the Hill 16 screen from my seat on the Cusack/Canal End corner.


Michael Murphy fists the ball on the ground.


Aidan Cassidy started for Tyrone in midfield despite not being named in the programme.


Damian Mc Caul makes an attacking run.


Peter Harte is already causing major problems for oppositions this year after another excellent game.


Peter Harte lies outstretched on the ground despite scoring Tyrone's second goal after colliding with the Kildare goalkeeper Shane Connolly.


Michael Harte tends to Peter as Owen Mulligan has a yarn with referee Michael Duffy.


Michael Murphy gets a hand to the ball in the air.


Stephen O'Neill shoots on goal for Tyrone...


... but narrowly puts it wide.


Peter Harte breaks forward for Tyrone as Matthew Donnelly picks up an injury in the background with Kildare's John Doyle.




This entry was posted in Tyrone. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

One Trackback

  1. […] not only for the Division 2 Final on the 29th April in Croke Park against Kildare….. a repeat for their first round game in February, but for the all important Ulster Championship and All-Ireland […]

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>