Cookstown Vs Killeavy – 2012 Ulster Intermediate Championship Quarter Final

Cookstown Fr Rocks made the first step to becoming Ulster Intermediate champions again with a comprehensive victory over Armagh champions Killeavy, a parish I only know too well as it is my fiancée’s club!

Right from the start of the game, Cookstown took control and racked up scores from Conor Mullan, Owen Mulligan and Shea Mc Garrity. Killeavy’s first score was close to being a goal only for a superb goal line block from defender Brian Kelly. Cookstown responded with further excellent fielding from Mullan and Barry Mulligan while John Gilmore bagged another goal to leave them 8 points ahead. Killeavy’s corner back Gordie Magennis was sent off for an off the ball incident and the after a couple of Killeavy points, the Fr Rocks went in with a comfortable 6 point lead.

The second half continued in a similar vain to the first with scores coming from James Mc Gahan and Shea Mc Garrity while Killeavy could never get a proper foot into the game despite outnumbering the Cookstown supporters in the stand. Cookstown then strolled to a comfortable 1-09 to 0-06 win and progressed onto an Ulster semi-final against Monaghan’s Doohmalet in  2 weeks time….. good luck to the Fr Rocks for that one.

Cookstown Fr Rocks line out in the Athletic Grounds, Armagh.


The green and black of Killeavy GFC pose for the team photo.


Players stand for the national anthem during a heavy shower of rain.


Marty Murray in control in the Cookstown defence.



Stevie (from Killeavy) Mc Donnell in action.




Stevie Mc Donnell passes ahead of Brian Kelly.


Raymond Taggart shoots into the Cookstown net but misses.


Brian Kelly blocks down Raymond Taggart’s goal bound shot.




Barry Hughes gets the ball ahead of Raymond Taggart.


Conor O’Hare keeps possession for Fr Rocks.




Barry Mulligan leaps to the air.




Ciaran O’Hanlon tries to create an attack for Killeavy.


John Gilmore is pulled back in the second half.


Conor Mullan judges the ball correctly in the air.








Marty Murray shoots for a point in the second half.






Owen Mulligan gets the ball forward for Fr Rocks.




A high ball drops into the Killeavy square.




Brian Mulligan with stands a tackle from Ciaran O’Hanlon.




Owen Mulligan relaxes after the final whistle in the team huddle.


This entry was posted in Club Football, Cookstown. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>