Carrickmore Vs Errigal Ciaran

I was at the draw for the first round of the Power N.I. Tyrone club championships back in June in Kelly’s Inn and there was considerable excitement and disbelief when the first two teams picked out of the O’Neill Cup to play each other were bitter rivals Errigal Ciaran and Carrickmore. That was back in June and nearly 2 months of anticipation built up to the final first round championship game last Sunday evening.

Everyone is probably well aware of the battles these two teams have had over the last 15 years involving some of Tyrone’s finest players (including current Errigal Ciaran manager Peter Canavan) and that is why 5000 people packed into Pomeroy Plunkett’s grounds on Sunday evening.

Throughout the 60 minutes of play, a gap of no more than 2 points separated the teams. Carrickmore looked the better team in the first half with great work coming from Colm Mc Gurk and Conor Gormley and they went in at half time 0-05 to 0-04 ahead.

But it was Errigal Ciaran that struck the only goal of the game early in the second half to put them 1 point up but they failed to seize the opportunity and capitalize on it. Carrickmore went onto hit 2 points of their own thanks to Caolan Daly and Errigal Ciaran never took the lead again. Final score; Carrickmore 0-12, Errigal Ciaran 1-08.

It was the narrowest of defeats for Errigal Ciaran and it was disappointing to see them bow out of the championship empty handed for another year but most people would agree that Carrickmore fully deserved their victory and a quarter final clash with Clonoe O’Rahilly’s.

Below are some images from the game.

Team captains and county team mates John Devine (left) and Conor Gormley (right) shake hands before the throw-in. The referee for the clash was the highly experience Martin Sludden. Last time I photographed an Errigal Ciaran Vs Carrickmore game and Martin Sludden refereed was the 2009 Division 1 League Final when 7 players were sent off following a massive melee... thankfully this didn't happen again!

The Errigal Ciaran panel and manager Peter Canavan (center) stand for the national anthem.

Barry Daly chips over an early point for Carmen.

Carrickmore's Caolan Daly has little space for manoeuvre.


The Errigal Ciaran goal came from the most unexpected source as full-back Damian Mc Dermott slots the ball into the net in the second half.


Damian Mc Dermott celebrates his goal which gave Errigal Ciaran the lead.


Tempers momentarily flared in the second half but calm soon ensued.


Ronan Mc Rory's path is blocked off by the Carrickmore players as the clock counted down to full time.


Relief for Mark Donnelly and Colm Mc Gurk at the final whistle as Carrickmore progressed to the quarter finals.


This entry was posted in Carrickmore, Club Football, Errigal Ciaran. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.


  1. Posted 31/08/2011 at 12:41 am by Jude | Permalink

    Great photos Damien.

  2. Posted 31/08/2011 at 12:23 pm by G Donnelly | Permalink

    I hope sludden was a wee bit nicer to u on sunday than he was that last time lol lol

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>