Aghaloo Vs Newtownstewart – 2012 Tyrone GAA Junior Championship, Quarter Final

My parish of Aghaloo stunned a fancied Newtownstewart in the quarter final of the Tyrone Junior football championship in Dunmoyle on Sunday evening with a superb 2-13 to 2-09 victory to set up a semi-final tie against Glenelly in the few weeks.

Aghaloo led from the start of the game and tore the Newtownstewart defence apart with wonderful play from Kevy Gorman, Stevie Donnelly, Brian Mc Kenna and Ruairi Mc Glone who got his first goal of the game with a palmed effort finding the net. However Newtownstewart danger man Kevin Gallagher got in behind the defence to score a goal and reduce Aghaloo’s hard work and lead. It could have been a lot worse for Aghaloo when a Ryan Mayse run into the Aghaloo square resulted in Mark Mc Cormack using his foot to block his goal bound shot….. this was Mark’s second offence of the game and referee Simon Brady had no option but to send him off. The resultant penalty though was terrifically saved by Chris Dynes and the Blackwater boys held on to their 5 point lead. Minutes later though Kevin Gallagher broke through the defence again and despite a save from Dynes, Gallagher booted the rebounding ball into the roof of the net….. it was all happening in this game and it was only half time! Aghaloo 1-08 Newtownstewart 2-03.

Fourteen man Aghaloo didn’t panic in the second half and stuck to their game plan. Both added points and the gap remained the same but the turning point in the game occurred 10 minutes from time when Stephen Donnelly dispossessed Tyrone goalkeeper Pascal Mc Connell who was caught 30 metres from his goal line. As Mc Connell tried to sprint back to his empty net, Donnelly passed the ball to Mc Glone who coolly lobed the ball over his head and into the goals much to the amusement of the growing crowd. Newtown did hit back a couple more points but after the dismissal of Newtownstewart attacker Ryan Mayse for an off the ball incident, it was a hill to steep to climb and Aghaloo progressed to the semis. Well done to the boys.

Full time score; Aghaloo 2-13 Newtownstewart 2-09.

The Aghaloo team line out in Dunmoyle.


Ryan Mayse pops a shot for Newtownstewart in the opening minutes.


Damian Mc Caughey holds off Ryan Mayse.



Aghaloo’s Brendan Halligan falls awkwardly and had to be taken off following this.


The Aghaloo physio and Emmett O’Neill tend to Brendan.


A Newtownstewart attacker collides with Chris Dynes.






Kevin Gallagher fires past Chris Dynes for the first Newtownstewart goal.


Ryan Mayse moves the ball forward ahead of Aghaloo’s Mark Mc Cormack.


Chris Dynes saves the Newtownstewart penalty in the first half.


Kevin Gallagher strikes goal again for Newtownstewart.


Kevy O’Gorman collects the ball for Aghaloo.



Cathal Cuddy hits a point for Aghaloo.


Gerard Mc Caughey was unlucky not to hit the back of the net with this shot.




Stephen Donnelly dispossesses Pascal Mc Connell and fists the ball to Ruairi Mc Glone.


Ruairi Mc Glone hits the ball into the empty net.




Ruairi Mc Glone can’t believe his luck!


Kevy O’Gorman attacks for Aghaloo.


Cathal Mulgrew has guided Aghaloo to a Junior championship semi-final now against Glenelly.


One last attack from Brian Mc Kenna.


Jubilation in the Aghaloo team huddle after the game.



This entry was posted in Aghaloo, Club Football, Newtownstewart. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>