Aghaloo Vs Glenelly – 2012 Tyrone GAA Junior Championship, Semi Final

My club of Aghaloo O’Neills overcame a massive test on Sunday afternoon from Glenelly GFC in the Tyrone Junior Championship semi-final in St Colmcille’s Park, Carrickmore. Aghaloo were favourites to make the final when the draw was made but it could have been a lot more different if it hadn’t been for a fortuitous second goal in the second half from Aghaloo’s Cathal Cuddy.

Aghaloo started reasonably well with points coming from Stevie Donnelly and Brian Mc Kenna while Glenelly kept close behind after scores from Seamus Harkin to leave it 0-05 to 0-03 on the scoreboard. The first break through of the game came before HT when Stevie Donnelly found Ruairi Mc Glone and he turned his marker and smacked the ball into the bottom corner to give them a 1-05 to 0-04 lead at the break.

Almost immediately after the second half, Glenelly’s Conor Mc Garvey sustained a knock to the head resulting in an ambulance having to be called as a precautionary measure…. this delayed the game 30 minutes and the delay actually favoured Glenelly more as they came out a different side and Aghaloo at times were finding it difficult to cope with their waves of attacks. The gap was narrowed to 2 points after further scores from Seamus Harkin and an upset looked to be on the cards. However, after a Tiarnan Donnelly shot rebounded off the Glenelly post, Cathal Cuddy reacted quickest to the ball and fisted it in for a goal and a 5 point margin was established again. This knocked the wind from the Glenelly attack and Aghaloo held on for an excellent 2-09 to 0-11 victory.

Aghaloo will now meet Brackaville in the Junior Championship final in a couple of weeks time which is sure to be a terrific battle….. good luck to the Aghaloo players and management in the final!

Aghaloo O’Neills have made it to the 2012 Tyrone Junior Championship final.


Gerard Mc Caughey collects the ball ahead of his marker.


Brian Mc Kenna stretches to move the ball forward for Aghaloo.



Aghaloo’s Tiarnan Donnelly finds support in the forward line.


John O’Neill shoots for Aghaloo.


Ruairi Mc Glone pulls the trigger in front of the goals…




Ruairi celebrates his goal with team mate Stephen Donnelly.


Colm Hicks advances for Glenelly.


Ruairi Mc Garvey is pulled back by Aghaloo’s Shea Loughran.


Martin O’Neill challenges Glenelly’s Cathal Mc Cullagh.


Gerard Mc Caughey leaps the highest into the air in midfield.




Gerard Daly tries to hold up Seamus Harkin.


Aghaloo’s Mark Mc Cormack takes the ball out of the defence.


Martin Mc Carron clears the ball for Aghaloo.


Aghaloo captain Gerard Daly.


Niall Henderson creates another last minute attack for Aghaloo.


Last minute instructions from Aghaloo manager Cathal Mulgrew.


Cathal Mulgrew congratulates his players on their semi-final win and mentally prepares them for the final ahead. This was taken with my wide angle 10mm lens placed on the ground between two players legs in the team huddle for maximum effect.



This entry was posted in Aghaloo, Club Football, Glenelly. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>